The Museum of Natural and Cultural History (MNCH) is Oregon's primary repository for publicly owned collections. Officially created in 1935-36 as the Oregon State Museum of Anthropology and Museum of Natural History, the museum has its roots in the late 1800s, when Thomas Condon joined the University of Oregon as one of its first three professors. Condon brought an extensive fossil collection to the UO, later known as the Condon Museum or Condon Collection. Today, as the premier natural and cultural history museum in the State of Oregon, the MNCH is home to hundreds of thousands of ethnographic and archaeological objects, fossils, and biological specimens from Oregon, the Pacific Northwest, and around the world. Samplings of these collections are available in our web galleries.
With over 50 employees, the museum is a center of interdisciplinary research and education, serving the UO campus community, K-12 students and teachers, and the wider public in Oregon and beyond.
The MNCH is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, distinguishing the museum as among the very best in the nation.